Click above for full-size
(9 photos)

Capt. Robert (Bobby) DeJesus Jr.

of Westport, Massachusetts
Position: Captain
Age: 38

Robert DeJesus Jr. was survived by his wife, Susan, and two children, Mandy, 13, and Jonathan, 8. He was raised in Westport and graduated from Bristol County Agricultural School. He began fishing around 1980 and had been the skipper of the Shannon III for nearly two years.

It is with great sorrow that we remember the loss of Robert (Bobby) DeJesus Jr., 38 yrs. young, at sea.  On January 31, 1994, the F/V Shannon III sank taking her captain, Robert DeJesus Jr., and first mate, Wayne Costa, with her.  Another crewmember's life was saved thanks to Bobby's half-finished "MAY-DAY".  This would be the last act of a truly honorable, hardworking man who was always concerned with everyone else's welfare.

Bobby will be solely missed by his wife of 15 yrs., Susan (Martin) DeJesus and their two children, Mandi, 13 yrs. and Jonathan, 8 yrs.  This void will also be felt by his sister, Kerry Dobson of England, his brother, Marc and mother, Marilyn of Westport and his father, Robert of Wareham.  Also mourning his passing are his in-laws, David and Ellen Martin of Westport and his grandparents John and Mary DeJesus of South Dartmouth.  He was grandson of the late Edward and Elizabeth Corrie.

Bobby was honored at a memorial service which overflowed with family and friends at Our Lady of Grace Church in Westport.  It was a moving tribute which ended with the reading of a heartfelt letter written by his daughter, Mandi.  A service was also held at the Seamen's Bethel in New Bedford.

Robert DeJesus will be remembered by many with love and respect but none will miss him more than his family

Sundays, horseplay and dancing will never be the same without you.  We love and miss you and hold you in our hearts always.

                                                             Sue, Mandi and Jonathan



Victor Pereira was sleeping on board the Shannon III on January 31, 1994. The ship was 80 miles southeast of Nantucket. When he woke up, he found the ship was taking on water. He told the captain, Robert DeJesus Jr., and crew member Wayne Costa to abandon ship. The captain radioed a mayday signal. They had all put on their survival suits, and Mr. Pereira had unhooked the lifeboat, when the boat sank. Mr. Pereira managed to swim to the surface and get into the lifeboat. A Coast Guard rescue swimmer saved him, but a search by two cutters, a Falcon jet, and a helicopter failed to locate the other two men.